17 décembre 2006

Lifestyle: ... and some CHAMPAGNE for the new year!

Here some famous (and maybe less famous) words about champagne (courtesy of my friend Tomas):

There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne. ~ Bette Davis (in Old Acquaintance)

Champagne is the only wine that leaves a woman beautiful after drinking it.~ Madame de Pompadour

Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne. ~ Paul Claudel

Like the maturing of romance into a deeper human attachment, the making of Champagne is an art that becomes engrained in the lives of all who commit themselves. It must be conceived and created from raw materials with imagination, hard work and persistence. It doesn’t just happen. It is a lifetime work. It is a magnum opus. ~ William Kaufman, Author

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them. ~ Brillat-Savarin


If you like Champagne, you’re full of fun and love the festive. If you don’t like Champagne, you don’t know what you’re missing. ~ Parade Magazine

Whenever I drink Champagne, I either laugh or cry...I get so emotional! I love Champagne. ~ Tina Turner, American Singer

I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty. ~ Madame Lilly Bollinger


Champagne has the taste of an apple peeled with a steel knife. ~ Aldous Huxley


Come quickly, I am tasting the stars! ~ Dom Perignon, at the moment he discovered champagne
Champagne and orange juice is a great drink. The orange improves the champagne. The champagne definitely improves the orange. ~ Philip, Duke of Edinburgh


Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower


A single glass of champagne imparts a feeling of exhilaration. The nerves are braced, the imagination is agreeably stirred; the wits become more nimble. A bottle produces the contrary effect. Excess causes a comatose insensibility. So it is with war: and the quality of both is best discovered by sipping. ~ Winston Churchill , who also during WW I told his soldiers that "Remember gentlemen, it's not just France we are fighting for, it's Champagne!" and paraphrased Napoleon, stating that "In success you deserve it, and in defeat you need it", and later in his life concluded that "Champagne should have three qualities: brut, cold and free!"

I drink champagne when I win, to celebrate . . . and I drink champagne when I lose, to console myself. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

The effervescence of this fresh wine reveals the true brilliance of the French people. ~ VoltaireThere are only two occasions when I drink champagne, and these are: when I have game for dinner and when I haven’t. ~ S.D. Churchill, 19th century British wine merchant
No government could survive without champagne. Champagne in the throats of our diplomatic people is like oil in the wheels of an engine. ~ Joseph Dargent


In a perfect world, everyone would have a glass of Champagne every evening. ~ Willie Gluckstern

You couldn't smoke grass on the set of Dallas, I didn't want to do that, I was perfectly satisfied with my champagne. ~ Larry Hagman

Do not forget what the famous British economist George Maynard Keynes said on his death bed:
My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne.

As Tomas said, to sum it up: La vie est nulle sans les bulles!

Aucun commentaire: